09 September 2007

fridays on the metro

Ah, the Mexico City metro. When you look at a map of the metro system, it seems like a pretty comprehensive system with plenty of stops and good coverage of the city. Then when you look at a map of the city with the metro stops marked on it, you realize just how spread out it really is. However, when compared to the cost per ride ($2 pesos, or about 20 cents US), you are tempted to take it everywhere, no matter how far you have to walk to actually arrive at your destination. As an alternative to morning rush hour traffic on the main roads that I take to work in a taxi, I've been giving the metro a test drive. The down side is that I have to go southwest for two stops, switch lines, and then go north for two more stops. There is no hypotenuse in the Condesa - Polanco commuting line.

Monday, at 8:15 am, it was dead quiet. Got to work in record time. Tuesday, same time, it was a little busier, but not overwhelming. Although the train did sit in the last two stations for 5 minutes a piece. Wednesday, everyone was late for work, I swear. People were sprinting through the station, piling onto the train and smushing like sardines, myself included. 2 stops, a line change, 2 more stops and 50 minutes later, I peeled my hip off the bar and shoved my way out the door, begging permiso (excuse me) from everyone. Then I observed a very interesting dichotomy. Men in business suits sprinting to the salida (exit) to be the first one on the escalator. Then, they just rode it all the way up, shoulder to shoulder, so that no one could pass. If this was the London Tube, surely there would have been a riot, lest you stand in the walking lane for even a split second. I think they really just wanted to be first on the escalator, and really weren't late for anything. Besides, a late Mexican is an on-time Mexican, so that whole tardiness theory is flawed...

Thursday, I needed a break from public transportation, so I took a taxi to work. A quick 10 minutes later I was at my office 30 minutes early. No traffic. Friday, I decided to save my $48 pesos in taxi fare and take the metro once more. No one! I was later than usual, but apparently so were all the Mexicans. The fastest I had ever gotten to work in the metro, hands down. The metro car wasn't even hot and sweaty yet, and I didn't have to race anyone to the escalator.

It is very interesting being the only gringa on the metro. Generally, Mexicans who have cars prefer to drive to work (part of the traffic problem), so that leaves everyone else taking public transport. However, there are still many different types of people on the metro. I have been lucky (or not) to be considered a fresa, which is kind of like "yuppie," or, if you're ignoring the men on the street cat-calling at you - snobby, rich girl. However, a fresa is still Mexican, so in that sense, the color of my skin only seems to indicate that I've spent more time in a library than out in the Mexican sun (if it ever comes out again), and I'm almost equal to all of them. I still keep my jewelry in my bag and wear good walking shoes instead of good high heels,
until I get to work, por si a caso.

On a side note, the most recent hurricane that passed through was no match for the Mexican taxista who brought me home from work that day. Flash flooding, 6 or 8 inches of rain on the main street, Avenida de la Reforma, dime-size hail, zero visibility. But everyone else drove in the middle lane, the high ground, leaving the left and right lanes free for a daring taxi to pass. A perfect opportunity to beat the traffic, get me home quickly, and return to pick up the next investment banker looking to get home in the monsoon. Time is money, and water on the roadway is no obstacle. For $38 pesos (about $3.80 US), I just have one request - Seat belt, please!

More to come, hopefully sooner than later. Qué les vayan super bien!

Ciao,
L

No comments: